A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Shores Restaurant Review (La Jolla)

Reasonable amount of hype on The Shores Restaurant, since Augie Saucedo left and Amy diBiase has come on board: she formerly of Laurel, formerly of Roseville, formerly of the Glass Door, formerly of the Cosmopolitan.

Despite the bad luck she hit at Cosmopolitan (crazy owner, if the U-T reporting is accurate), she's still considered one of the top chefs in town, even if we were never 100% crazy about her food (it was always good, never cravable for us). And since she has settled in at The Shores, with a beautiful ocean view and reasonable prices, I've been meaning to try it.

Verdict:
I loved it!
Cute Husband: not so much!

I ordered from the "Sip and Savor"menu. Great deal, I think - 3 courses for $30, add wine pairing for $15. Lisa Redwine (ha!), the sommelier at the Marine Room, also does the menu here (this is the jr. restaurant of the Marine Room).

APPETIZER: me: very tasty kumbacha squash soup with tangerine infusion, paired with a very respectable and yummy French rose
CH: green salad with goat cheese and sherry vinaigrette: I thought it was very good, he thought it was ok

ENTREE: me: cocoa nib crusted albacore etc. Fish was perfectly well cooked, yummy rice, spectacular pickled bok choy. Otherwise it would have been a cliched Asian-style seared tuna with bok choy. The pickled vegetable really elevated the dish. I ate the whole thing up. I had a choice of pairing it with an excellent Chardonnay, or a Spanish grenacha. The nice waiter let me taste both - it was a tossup, but I went with the Chardonnay, which was the sommelier's set pairing. Worked nicely.
CH: herb roasted chicken breast. He thought it was ok. He was not crazy about the celery root and artichoke gratin it came with. I thought it was rich, but very tasty.

DESSERT: trio with mixed results.
--"Brandied cherry white chocolate parfait": a bit of a hot mess; I couldn't remember what the menu had said, and I thought it was rice pudding with some red stuff and a bunch of sticks of crispy pastry dough sticking out, til I checked the menu again
--"milk chocolate chai pot de crème": sorry, didn't taste the chai - was a decent enough chocolate pudding
--dark chocolate peanut butter truffle: this was the yummiest part. Amy diBiase was roaming (was fun to meet her - she's so young and accomplished!) said this was a family recipe.
--not a fan of the madeira it was paired with, but then I don't like madeira! I gave it a try but still no dice, even paired with chocolate.

ATMOSPHERE: CH is right, that it seems very upscale 50s motel. Really, they need to redo this if they want to elevate the restaurant.

SERVICE: Very nice, came by when we needed them, checked on us, hostesses also pitched in when needed. Certainly better than Flavor (and rivalled Grant Grill).

OVERALL VERDICT: I loved my fun dinner and fun wine pairings (though dessert was the weakest link, the pudding was fine and the truffle was yummy). CH thought it was meh. I would have loved for this to be our new pre-La Jolla Playhouse spot, but CH is vetoing that idea. We are still on the lookout for new openings in the Shores/UTC area!

No comments:

Post a Comment