A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Saturday, February 11, 2012

MY NEW FAVORITE SD RESTAURANT: Grant Grill Review (Downtown)

Am still enjoying my Jeff Josenhans buzz.

Up until today, my fave SD restaurants were:
1. Searsucker = exciting atmosphere + exciting food
2. Alchemy = super-exciting food + relaxed neighborhood atmosphere (favorite chef in city = Ricardo Heredia)
3. Charisma = super-chill atmosphere, reasonable prices and delectable modern Italian cuisine

Well, after a revisit to Grant Grill, they're all getting knocked down a rank:

GRANT GRILL, I LOVE YOU!

Where do we start?

1. Jeff Josenhans = the city's absolute best mixologist. His flavor combos sound strange....they're fantastic!

2 yrs ago, I had a Horton House, a kind of alcoholic chocolate egg cream.

Tonight, I got the bitter betty = fresh muddled blood oranges + gin + vermouth. Don't like gin, don't like vermouth.....The drink was FANTASTIC. So aromatic and herbal, just like the waitress promised.


2. Swanky but luxe atmosphere. Grant Grill has a swingin' bar on Th - Sat. nights, with live music = very atmospheric. But the restaurant part is very fine dining and luxe-y, and quiet. So you have the atmosphere of the hot jazz, and a quiet, fancy atmosphere. LOVE IT!

3. Service is fantastic. Natalie, our server, was super knowledeable, and did not steer me wrong. She very enthusiastically explained more about the 3 cocktails I was considering, and answered every question in a way that left the choice to me, but left me better informed. I had a fantastic meal, with her help.

4. Oh yeah: the food! Would I say that Chris Kurth is a better chef than Ricardo Heredia? Probably not. Ain't got nothin' but love for Ricardo Heredia. BUT there are so many high notes on this menu. First, just like last time, LOVE LOVE LOVE the signature house foccacia. Crazy savory and yummy. Second, my beet plate (not really a salad but a stylish presentation of beets) was yummy, flavorful and light. And Cute Husband's farmer's market salad was delightful - in both of our minds! Third, he really liked his steak, and his creamed corn was yummy. My thai style sea bass (in a light broth, with mushrooms and a bit of sweet potato puree) was very light and tasty - I wouldn't return there just for this dish, and if the restaurant didn't have all of the other things (Jeff Josenhans' cocktails, swanky atmosphere, fab service), this dish wouldn't call me back at all. But it was "nice," and didn't drag the meal (or my buzz!) down.

Finally, the dessert. Rachel King and Jack Fisher: not to worry, you're not getting knocked off as my fave pastry chefs anytime soon! There was nothing legendary or pioneering about my dessert (a lemony mascarpone semolina cake with berry compote and vanilla ice cream). However, it happened to be VERY GOOD, not too big, very perfect. I am not a huge blueberry fan (or a huge lemon one, for that matter), but I scarfed up the perfectly prepared berry compote, which was humble but fantastic. The semolina cake was very nice, and the vanilla ice cream was super well-made and tasty.

Chris Kurth also sends out a little dark chocolate cookie with the bill, on the principle that you should finish your meal with a taste of dark chocolate. It wasn't the greatest little choc. thing I ever ate in my life, but it was a nice touch.

Oh! And I forgot my wine. Natalie helped me decide on a glass of viognier ($11) to pair with my sea bass. It was a generous pour and super delish.

On a M-W night, Searsucker is still probably more swinging and exciting.

And if I'm judging on food alone, I'll still take Alchemy food.

And on price/value/reliable deliciousness, I'd still eat my last meal on earth at Charisma.

But for a package of nutso-creative-delicious cocktails + fab service + swanky fun atmosphere + great food, Grant Grill has rocketed to the top of my list!

(Tonight we used a gift certificate - thanks, Mom! But they also offer restaurant.com certificates too. They're more expensive than any of my other #1-4, so it helps!)

No comments:

Post a Comment