A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Stone Brewery Restaurant (Escondido)

Not going to go on and on about the beer (foodie mom doesn't have much time to drink!). But here's a quick take on the restaurant.

Have delayed going here forever, despite talk of the beautiful gardens, because the menu has always struck me as very expensive for what it is, and it gets mixed reviews on yelp, despite all of the pretensions of the menu to being gourmet, farm-to-table etc. Here's what I found.

Setting: beautiful. Total surprise from the nondescript office park exterior.

Service: not very efficient. Ditto yelp. And my courses came all at once.

Prices: about $30 a person at lunch for salad, sandwich and a tiny beer.

Food: Tom Kai soup (a special) was not very good. Pale imitation of a Thai restaurant. My seared tempeh sandwich was pretty tasty. The salad that accompanied it was pretty respectable.

Beer: My levitation ale was good. Not as good as the smoked porter and IPA I had recently.

Gardens: Beautiful.

Would happily return for the free tour this summer (any takers?). And might take someone for a business lunch to enjoy the gardens. In general, it wouldn't be my first choice for a business lunch because of the prices and service. But glad I went!

No comments:

Post a Comment