A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bety's Taco Shop (Encinitas) + More on Dumpling Inn

So we decided to branch out tonight, in honor of our dear readers. We hit Bety's in Encinitas after reading raves on Yelp. Alas, not every new place can be a total success!

The good news: very pleasant atmosphere (you forget you're in a strip mall on Encinitas Blvd.), very nice staff, relatively quick service for a waiter service joint. Boy loved the music. AND HE STAYED PUT THE ENTIRE MEAL. I'm talking he did not get up once. (Plus he said please and thank you all night (when prompted of course, but still) and was sweet and not remotely aggravating. Who took my toddler and replaced him with someone else???). A big menu meant I could get something different than a veggie burrito - got garlic fish, which was pretty tasty. Liked the salsa.

The bad: The Dad did not like his chicken mole at all - thought the chicken and the mole was gross. Boy not that into his quesadilla (I tasted it - it was average) - didn't like his jamaica that much either. The guac was fresh and tasty, but that's not a meal. The rest of our food was fine, but certainly did not live up to the raves on Yelp (maybe we're spoiled by the great Mexican food we've been having in central SD this year).

So we won't be going back, I guess. But I have to say it was a lovely evening, what with not having to struggle with Boy and getting to eat a whole meal calmly the three of us. I dare not hope that this is a trend....

Oh - and I'm so glad NYUGirl and family tried Dumpling Inn and liked it! I don't think I mentioned that the line is super-long - another good reason for getting takeout. I forgot to mention for the vegs that they are super veg-friendly and will do water/veggie broth for all of their soups too. Love Dumpling Inn!

No comments:

Post a Comment