A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Real Food and Spirits Review (Solana Beach Neapolitan pizzeria and bar)

Boys were not restaurant-ready last night but I was in the mood for something delicious, so I thought of where to try takeout from. Had seen a feature on Real Food and Spirits. The whole interview was a little absurd (women want ___; men want ___; women decide on where to go, so we added food for the women!). But it sounded like they had good Neapolitan pizza.

Atmosphere: chill, sophisticated neighborhood bar, cool for being in the Lomas Santa Fe strip mall near the tire store.

Entryway: oh! they have gelato from Bottega Italiana in UTC. I'd know that mojito gelato anywhere! 

Servers: friendly, helped me with my carryout.

Food at home: 
--Boys each got a kids' size pizza for $8.  They were quite large.  SuperBoy liked it, but Cute Husband did not. It really had a "kids" taste to it - mixture of mozzarella and cheddar, pretty sweet.  CH is not interested in going to this place again.

--"Italian inspired" Caesar salad for $12.  Fine, but very ordinary. Not humongous. Not worth $12, especially to eat at home.

--My margherita pizza: added eggplant to it. Tasty, not great.  Certainly better than having to drive to North Park for neapolitan pizza. However, they told me it would be 30-40 mins. for takeout, and by the time I got there and brought the pizza home, it was C-O-L-D.  So I had to heat it in the microwave and it lost something.  Was tasty for dinner - not sure I'd spend time going to that restaurant v. other choices.

Looks like a cool place to have a drink with friends if you have time for that. Not my perfect place for a GNO. Not sure I'd do takeout from here again.  HOWEVER, it's nice to have that gelato available in SB, and I think the place is open all day, not just for dinner. Yum....pistachio/coconut/chocolate/mojito gelato near Marshall's and Sprouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment