A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Crush (Solana Beach): YUM!!!

I was super-skeptical about this place: the best restaurant in Chico, CA, is opening a branch in Solana Beach, and we're supposed to get excited?

But I got a Groupon and decided to try it. Some folks on line complained afterwards that Grouponers could only order from a special menu, and it wasn't as much of a deal as had been advertised.  That may be so. nevertheless.


SUPER ATMOSPHERE. Hopping but not too crazy on a Thurs. night. Fun standards playing over the sound system (like I've Got a Crush on You - get it?)

SUPER SERVICE: Really, one of the best waitstaffs I've seen in a long time. Very eager to please.

HOUSE WINE: Super-yum. I was stuck with the house wine on the Groupon - however, with house wine like that, it's not called being stuck. So much better than a lot of varietals I get at other places for more. Yummy pinot grigio-sauvingon blanc blend (waiter gave me a taste). And SUPER sangiovese-cab blend.  Wasn't really in the mood to drink (getting sick) but it was so yummy I downed it and had to restrain from having another.

FOOD:  Not the most creative dish ever (this won't put Ricardo Heredia out of business), but solid, tasty, and very well-prepared.
  --Iceberg wedge: CH thought it was ok.
  --Tuna tartare: YUM! (but at $15 without a groupon, not a bargain)
  --Fish of the night: Halibut with edamame puree, ratatouille and fingerling potatoes. Super-yum. Fish cooked *perfectly*. Ate the whole thing up happily. I think this is normally $21
  --Chicken piccata: CH got it and was very pleased.
 

DESSERT:  CH got a chocolate lava cake. Very yummy. I wasn't crazy about his vanilla ice cream, though it was ok (a little too cold).
  --They didn't have what I ordered (a PB&J bread pudding), so they brought me an apple strudel with ginger snap ice cream. I almost sent it back.   But first I sniffed it....The apple strudel smelled warm and serious.  SO GLAD I kept it. Perfect pastry dough, deliciously flavored. Crazy delicious, rich, ginger snap ice cream. Who knew I like ginger snap?  Again, this doesn't rival a Rachel King dessert in creativity, but it was sheer deliciousness.

Without a groupon it would not be as reasonable but I still hope to return. It's chill, it has good wine, great food and great service. Fun times!

No comments:

Post a Comment