A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Don't cry for Red Robin (Carmel Valley)

So it's the big joke of the Ralph's shopping center renovation (Del Mar Highlands) that Red Robin is the big loser. It used to be packed on a Fri or Sat. because there were no other decent family-friendly choices in the neighborhood. With the Counter and the other restaurants open, no lines anymore at Red Robin. They can't be happy.

Well, we went tonight (SB wanted to play video games, which they do have there, and he was a good boy so he got to pick the restaurant). I remembered why it's never my first choice.

--slow service
--they can never get a veggie burger properly cooked. I appreciate that they allow you to sub in one for anything on the menu. But mine always comes out lukewarm. Today the sweet potato fries were lukewarm too.

I do appreciate the skinny margarita. It was kind of sickeningly sweet, but at 130 calories for something limey, drinkable and alcoholic that I could drink while I helped SB eat his grilled cheese, it was a nice treat.

I'm sure we'll go again - SB is not as picky about food as his dear old mom. But they deserve losing the business they're losing. I would have had a much better burger and dinner at the Counter!

No comments:

Post a Comment