A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Blue Point Coastal: Meh! (Gaslamp)

Now before I call Blue Point Coastal "meh," let me explain the standards by which I'm judging it.

Were I a tourist staying in the gaslamp, with an expense account, I probably would have found my meal and the atmosphere delightful. Atmosphere: buzzy yet elegant. Food: tasty.

And yet....I come already knowing the yummiest places around the county - AND knowing that the new chef, Daniel Barron, is a James Beard Award nominee for the Southwest, someone who got three stars at the restaurant he opened in NY, etc. So I'm going - and paying Blue Point Coastal prices ($30+ for entrees) - thinking this is going to elevate our local food standards and be super-exciting. I think he's known for molecular stuff too.

So in this context, when my food was merely tasty and normal, I say.... MEH!

Liked the atmosphere.

Liked the service.

Liked my St. Germain cocktail (had them custom-do something; cocktails on their signature menu seemed not up my alley for some reason).

Liked my spicy tuna wonton.

CH's salad: ok, boring.

Liked my thai basil crusted salmon with chevre polenta. Ate every morsel....and yet, it can't hold a candle to a Ricardo Heredia dish. Just plain "tasty" - not $32 tasty or James Beard nominee tasty or 3-star tasty.

My theory is that at this corporate Cohn restaurant in the Gaslamp, cooking for conventioneers, maybe he's had to dumb down his food. But as much as my meal and experience were perfectly fine, there's no need to go again - nor for my readers to try it!

If you want the fine dining experience in the gaslamp - go to Grant Grill! It's a whole lot more special - and quieter - and with more exciting food. If you want buzzy and great food - just go to Searsucker! It will still be cheaper, probably!

No comments:

Post a Comment