A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Urban Plates Review (Carmel Valley): A Huge Addition to the Neighborhood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to regret posting this, since I am going to be contributing to making this place very crowded, and I hope it doesn't get too crazy too fast!

I had a very exciting and unexpected adventure today. I went to Jimbo's to grab some lunch while the boys were on an outing, and saw that Urban Plates (one of the new places which has been under construction in the Del Mar Highlands shopping center) had finally lost its scaffolding...and was open!

It turned out to be a private pre-opening event (opening day is Mon., Sept. 19). But the nice young woman at the door told me I could go in anyway. They were serving their menu for free for a selected group of invitees....plus little old moi.

CONCEPT: Ok, I was dreaming that this place was going to be like Waters: it had been advertised as upscale takeout for families, or you could eat there. To my surprise, it is nothing like Waters....but it is like Tender Greens....only maybe even better! One moves through a cafeteria line, and can either get salads with grilled proteins (steak, chicken, turkey or tuna), à la Tender Greens ($10);
--or grilled proteins on a plate with 2 sides (hot or cold) ($10)
--or grilled protein sandwiches with 1 side ($10)
--or pizzettes ($5)

They describe themselves as farm-to-table without high prices. Really, it's modelling itself after Tender Greens, but there are many more choices. Instead of the TG model, which requires you to get a green salad and mashed potatoes along with your grilled protein, here your choices include: beet salad, quinoa with edamame, grilled mushrooms and leeks....or you could have mashed potatoes if you really wanted (I'm leaving out about 10 other choices of hot or cold veggie sides). Oh - and just like TG, they have *fabulous* grilled bread - only theirs is made in house (I chatted with the chefs - did I mention it was super exciting to stumble out of my house in my I'm-squeezing-in-work-and-I-haven't-showered-yet clothes, and to find myself in a culinary wonderland?). They also have a soup station ($4) and a dessert station (more on that in a moment) and wines by the glass.

DECOR: *Love* the design. It is so pleasant - it fits very well with farm-to-table. Bright colors, open space, contemporary design, nice wood tables.

KIDDIE CHOICES: Their "Urban Kids" station includes gourmet m&c, grilled cheese, organic pb&J and several other yummy-looking meaty things I'm forgetting. They come with fruit salad and organic chips, but I bet they'd let you sub a salad.

SERVICE: Everyone was super-nice, and even though it's cafeteria style, there were hordes of energetic, friendly servers circulating once you sat to see if you needed something. I'm sure this was especially for the soft-opening, but it boded well.

WHAT I SAMPLED:
--grilled ahi plate (good), with beet salad (awesome) and mashed potatoes (yum, just as good as TG)
--grilled bread (yum....white carbs are too tempting)
--roasted red pepper soup and veggie curry soup (both tasty)
--mushroom pizzette (very tasty)

DESSERT: Ok, this place is *ridiculous.* The choices are overwhelming, and the cakes are beautiful like at Cafe Zinc. I watch Top Chef desserts weekly and salivate, then get disappointed when the desserts at nice places in SD are just ok (Rachel's crunchies at Burlap aside). These cakes were all ridiculously tasty looking (plus there are cookies, brownies, and other desserts I'm blocking out). I ordered the strawberry-almond cake - it was out of this world moist, with light as air frosting, and delicious strawberry jam inside. They gave me a nice to-go box, so I actually brought this home to share with Super Boy. We both loved it.

My prediction: this is quickly going to become the most popular place in Carmel Valley. People will flock there with their children, or they'll flock there if they don't have children. It's healthy if you want it to be (or decadent if you don't), simple, tasty, and reasonable. (Of course, if you get an entree and a soup and a dessert, you're at $20 very quickly for a cafeteria, but for the quality of food in Carmel Valley, it's still very exciting).

LOVE IT, CAN'T WAIT TO BRING THE BOYS! (and don't spread the word too much, or the line will be out the door and it won't be toddler-friendly anymore!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment