A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Katana revisit (Carmel Valley)

Katana has a huge menu, and it's a place we've been going back to once a month or more with ST. It's quite good overall, and very toddler-friendly so it works. But the rolls are a bit hit or miss, so it's good to remind myself what I liked (and then search later!).

Today I got:
--baked mountain roll
--tuna tartar

CH got:
--"crispy chicken" app + soup + salad + rice

ST got:
--salad + rice + cubed tofu + miso

ST was thrilled as usual with his food, plus the X-Games on the screens.

CH was not happy he ordered something new: he thought the crispy chicken would be more well-done grilled, and it was chicken fingers. Luckly he wasn't very hungry.

Me: The tuna tar tar salad was not really tartare (in that it wasn't haché). But it was quite tasty. Cubed raw tuna, with avo, on a bed of mixed greens, with a yummy slightly spicy-sweet dressing. The kicker on the plate (which I wasn't expecting): crispy tempura-ed rice balls. Very delicious...and very not on my no-white-carbs-if-possible eating plan. They were too yummy - I ate more "tastes" than I wanted to.

--Mountain roll: I have to remind myself that this is a mess of a sushi roll. Too much sauce on the salmon. Tasty, but I'd rather get something healthier. I set out to have healthy raw fish tonight, and ended up with a stomach full of fried white rice balls and the goopy sauce on the mountain roll. (Ditto Alaska roll, which has an alfredo-like "truffle-in-name-only" sauce on it).

Overall, still like Katana a lot as a tasty, somewhat hip family-friendly option. But should go back to the delicious and riceless ex-girlfriend roll for me, and the beef bulgogi or chicken teriyaki for CH!

No comments:

Post a Comment