A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Restaurant Round-Up I: Kitchen 1540 (Del Mar)

We've had good babysitting lately so have had one date night a week. Plus I met a friend for drinks on Friday while CH was home with ST. So I have a bunch to report. Here's the first one!

Kitchen 1540: My friends who love this place, I am sorry to disappoint you with this report. I *loved* my cocktail (delicious hibiscus margarita - very strong). I *loved* the beet salad with pistachio brittle and carmelized yogurt. About this point of the meal, I declared to CH that this was now my favorite restaurant in San Diego. He reminded me that I hadn't gotten my entree yet. I don't care, I said - this is way better than I thought. No pretentious Del Martians, just outstanding food.

CH liked his salad too.

Around this time my stomach began to hurt but I was sufficiently drunk that I kept eating anyway. *Loved* my salmon (not on menu - had seen it on restaurant week menu even though they changed their mind and didn't do restaurant week). *Loved* my red velvet cake - not quite as good as entree and app, but still very creative.

So why will you be disappointed, my friends? Because that pain in my stomach (from the pistachio brittle, maybe?) stuck around all night. I would have possibly still given it another chance....but then CH felt violently sick after the meal. Maybe we just have sensitive stomachs, but Kitchen 1540 is no longer my favorite restaurant in SD. (It was fun while it lasted for about 30 min.). I still think the flavors are awesome and it's lovely, but just don't want to take a chance there again. CH keeps coming up with unprintable parodies of the name (____ 1540, ____ 1540), all stemming from his post-meal stomach troubles.

Alas - it was super-yummy!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment