A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Clay's La Jolla

Beginning our pre-theater La Jolla explorations, in the wake of Jai's decline. Before Limelight (not great, but good enough to stay past intermission), we tried Clay's.

--great ocean/LJ view
--not really a hot spot
--prices high but decent if you do happy hour in the bar or get a restaurant.com gift certificate
--comfy chairs - did I mention the view?
--my ahi tuna tower was delicious; really liked my wild mushroom ravioli
--awesome mojito: lots of lime and mint
--they have a whole vegetarian menu

Was this my favorite restaurant ever? No.
Was it pleasant? Yes.
Would I go back? Sure - why not, if I need something pre-theater.

Definitely worth a visit!

2 comments:

  1. I expected it to be hipper, given the location, view, etc. Further proof that most places with a fab view in San Diego stop trying after they reach "decent" (e.g Marine Room, Bertrands). Exceptions: C-Level, Georges (roof terrace only)? I still like Clay's, but wouldn't do it if I only had one night out and wanted something really good. The Ahi tower was our favorite as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting, Dr. T! I totally agree: it is not a must-visit for one meal for tourists. But the ahi tower is quite delicious and that view really is awesome. I will probably try it again with a restaurant.com certificate!

    ReplyDelete