A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Prepkitchen (Del Mar), plus the DM Farmers Market

Quick post, as we're in toddler-sick-land today. Ran out to buy produce at the Sat. afternoon DM Farmers Market and to grab food at the new Prepkitchen Del Mar.

Prepkitchen is of course the offshoot of Whisknladle in LJ, which gets lots of foodie love for its artisanal approach to ingredients.

However, went once a few years ago: ok, meh.

Went to Prepkitchen, the more casual offshoot in LJ a year or so ago: overpriced, meh.

So I was not overly excited by the announcements this year that a new Prepk would open in DM. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me three times?

A friend loves it, brings her kids often since it opened. So I decided to scope it out today in combo with going to the FM.

Result: totally overpriced - was very grumpy that my beet/goat cheese/walnut salad, with a scoop of tuna on the side, was $18 (no prices on website). Could get a kick-ass version of the same at waters for about $10.

Was not expecting to like it and was going to do a grumpy post. Turns out it was pretty decent. But still not worth $18!!! Not going back, but won't totally badmouth it.

As for the farmers' market, the new signs that say it's open at 12 are fake-outs. I was there at 12:15 - almost no vendors. After I went to Prepk, came back, waited longer, only about half of the merchants were ready to go by 1:15. Left with no peaches and nectarines - ST was disappointed when I returned, but alas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment