A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Sunday, April 7, 2013

True Food Kitchen (Fashion Valley): Restaurant Review

Finally made it to TFK. Onsite chef is Nathan Coulon, though he wasn't there. Exec. chef of the chain is my old favorite Michael Stebner, opening chef at Nine-Ten in La Jolla and later of Region in Hillcrest.

Atmosphere: kind of busy and mallish, more than I expected. I thought it was supposed to be more hip. Still, it's busy and loud enough to be kid-friendly.

Drinks: SuperBoy experimented with a strawberry-rhubarb seasonal soda. I liked it, but he eventually decided it was too weird. He switched to "natural" root beer.

I got a "happiness" cocktail, with ginger, vanilla, St. Germain and lime. It was subtle. Not the most delicious cocktail ever, but tasty. A little bit tart. Would try something else next time.

Appetizers: Best part of the meal.  We got edamame dumplings - super-YUM (PR Girl had said these were the best). We also got strawberry chopped salad. Delectable.

Entrees:  CH liked his spinach lasagna.

I LOVED the veggies on my seabass plate, and I'm not even a big snap pea fan.  Scarfed 'em up. But the "sea bass" itself was the sustainable kind, not Chilean, and it was kind of dry.  I added lime and lemon, which made it better, but it wasn't on a level with the other things I ate.

SB really liked his chicken teriyaki, though he was more into the chicken than the veggies.

DESSERT:  CH got a valrhona cake which had an unusual taste - maybe more cocoa was used than butter/cream, and some extra flavorings.  SB liked his vanilla ice cream.  I got the "chia seed pudding, with banana and coconut." Server raved about it. It kind of grew on me - it was like sweet oatmeal. I liked it but wouldn't get it again.

Won't rush back, but good option to know about with a toddler. Apparently wait can be long, but we went at 5 pm so sat right down.

No comments:

Post a Comment