A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Monday, April 8, 2013

La Villa (Little Italy) Restaurant Review: Yum!

How is it possible I forgot to review this place?

Went a few weeks ago.  Fantastic!

Cool vibe. We sat inside, but patio looks nice.

CUISINE: Farm to table, rustic Italian inspired, not the same old Italian as every place in Little Italy.

SERVICE: Very warm. Great waitress.

BREAD: Could have been a little warmer, but otherwise was very tasty.

COCKTAIL: Was deciding between two, she steered me very knowledgably. She described each and told me that choice #2 was her favorite (Chartreuse Swizzle), and that she didn't like #1 because it was too tart. That was so helpful - I love tart! So I ordered #1 - I wish I could remember what it was, is not on online menu. But it had gin and some other delicious things.

APPETIZER:  CH enjoyed his farmer's market salad - very fresh. My baby beet and grapefruit salad was ridiculously tasty.  I don't even like grapefruit, but it tasted perfect in this salad.

ENTREE: CH got a chicken dish he really enjoyed. I got a dish not on online menu - spring vegetable fettucine with burrata. YUM. So light and really delicious and flavorful.

DESSERT:  We got 3 chocolate tasting, and salted caramel chocolate mousse.  Would pass on the mousse next time - not the greatest example of it ever.  But the 3 chocolate tasting was yum.  The half-baked Valrhona chocolate cake was stupendous - we would gladly have gotten more of that little bite if we could.

Would happily visit again - a nice find in Little Italy. I'm embarrassed it wasn't on my radar before!

No comments:

Post a Comment