A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cafe Secret (Del Mar)

Finally made it to the much-hyped Cafe Secret, with my friend who has too many claims to fame to get just one moniker (HyphenateGirl?).  Verdict: we only ate lunch, and I only got egg salad, so the Peruvian authenticity and deliciousness of the food would probably be more evident at dinner. But I still enjoyed it.

Atmosphere: super pleasant patio on Camino Del Mar, leafy and attractive.

Menu:  Wanted the fish sandwich but they were out. Got the triple egg salad, which someone on Yelp said they had driven all the way from OC for after first tasting it during a DM vacation.  I wouldn't drive that far for it, but it was a nice sandwich (not sure what was peruvian about it). Came with plantain chips and a nice salad.

HyphenateGirl got a salad and empanada combo.  LOVED the chard-spinach-quesofresco-egg empanada she got. Not heavy, very healthy seeming.  Next time I go (I would like to go again as it's a nice place to have lunch, even if it's not the absolute #1 food) I'd like to get that empanada with a half egg salad sandwich.

Dessert: she got the tres leches, which is very praised on Yelp. I thought it was just ok.

I got an espresso. Tasty, but I like them nice and hot and it was lukewarm (many places do that - it's frustrating - it sits before it gets to you and is already almost cold).

Service was pleasant.

Final Verdict: not a must-visit, but I'll probably go again in several months or a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment