A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Cucina Urbana Review #3: yum!

Since my initial haterdom of CU, I've been won over. It's a super-fun restaurant, which an interesting, changing menu. Not every dish is a winner, but it's absolutely worth returning to.

Wine:
Tonight, to avoid the ridiculous per-glass charge v. bottle gap, I ordered a whole bottle and took the rest home.  Broc Paso Robles rhone-style white. Yum! I had seen it on the menu online, thought it looked like a great value - then got there and it wasn't on the menu! Lovely waitress told me they had run low so took it off, but she found the last bottle for me! Very nice value for $23 + no corkage on a Sun night.

Apps:
CH started with humus and toasts.  Very tasty toasts.

I got kale/hearts of romaine caesar. Was coveting the ricotta gnudi but thought this would be healthier. Oops! It was certainly tasty, but it was loaded with hi-cal dressing and grated cheese. Enjoyed it but didn't want to finish it and wouldn't order again.

Entrees:
I got the honey eggplant and goat cheese pizza, which I had seen someone go nuts on at Yelp (someone else said it was tasteless).  CH got the ribeye w/gorgonzola potato croquette.  Eggplant pizza was good - they are great at doing woodfired crusts - but I wouldn't order it again. (still, it was a nice dish to try).  CH really liked his ribeye (and I l-o-v-e-d the not-healthy cheese croquette....sinfully yummy).

Too full for dessert. But as usual they packed up the leftovers (including the wine) and left in the fridge til we saw our play. We picked up the leftovers on the way home.  Love CU! 

No comments:

Post a Comment