A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Datenight: Farmhouse Cafe!! (University Heights)

Tired....Foodie Mom's blog is much less detailed on restaurants than the other foodie blogs....because working moms are tired! :) It's enough trouble to get out for a date, let alone type about it (let alone take glorious scrumptious pictures and upload them). So I ain't no mmm-yoso. But here's a quick take on my glorious visit to Farmhouse!

THANK YOU, MUSEUMGIRL!! FARMHOUSE CAFE IS LE BOMBE!

Was suspicious of this place for a while. Annoying music on website. Menu never looks that good to me.

But Museumgirl said: "It's scrumptious....Trust me and go!"
Naomi Wise: kept pimping Chef Olivier. He's always with the Confab too....

So today, Cute Husband and I hit Next to Normal while grandma watched Super-Toddler (best musical about mental illness EVER - no, seriously, it was amazing). Then we went to Farmhouse.

SCRUMPTIOUS-O!!!!! Loved everything about it. Cute, chill, small...like a real neighborhood restaurant in France, not all glamour-y like Tapenade.

Bread: Yum (Bread & Cie)

Mustard-Greens/Cured Yolk/Anchovy Salad (takeoff on Caesar): crazy good. Mustard greens were amazing. Loved the cured yolk. Almost left the anchovies on the plate (eating them all by themself - normally too much - so salty). BUT best...anchovies...I ever ate. Totally clean and light, not too salty. Farmhouse really does source things from the best places.

Seabass/fingerlings/mushrooms: Chef Olivier did a spectacular revision of the menu for me - this was a special and is normally made with mussel broth. He did it with a plain ol' beurre blanc for me. IT WAS SO PERFECTLY COOKED AND DELICIOUS.

CH's Steak with broccoli and pommes dauphinés: He liked his but was less wild than me. However, he left his pommes over, so I scooped one up. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? It was, as the young folk say, SICK! Delightful texture - and was that some cinammon? Crazy delicious, never had a pomme dauphiné like that ever.

White Burgundy by the glass for me: a delish Macon-Vinzelles. YUMM!!!

DESSERT
--Finally I hit something that wasn't perfect. I wasn't that crazy about his butterscotsch pot de crème. After eating Blue Ribbon Artisan's butterscotch pudding, this clearly was nothing special. However, CH loved it and thought it was the best part of his meal.

I ordered almond panna cotta. MMMMMMM.....

I left Farmhouse a very happy Foodgirl (though I was somehow wishing for a 4th course).

I hope to go back - thanks, MuseumGirl and Naomi Wise for pushing the restaurant!!

No comments:

Post a Comment