A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Revisiting Urban Solace (North Park)

Date night here....

We first hit Urban Solace in Jan. 2009 or so. It had tons of buzz and I remember being super impressed. It felt "urban", way more than other places in San Diego, and the food was delicious and very reasonable. I still remember what I had: those famous biscuits; a salad that was to die for; and a grilled portabello sandwich that came with a little soup ($9, I think). Reasonable, yummy.

Then I saw Matt Gordon speak at a food panel and thought he was menschy, smart and cute (not as cute as Cute Husband, of course, but young and menschy for a chef). And recently he's in the news a lot for throwing high fructose corn syrup off the menu, even for cocktails, and pushing for sustainability in all his products. All around a nice guy.

The only reason we haven't been back sooner: the food seemed a little heavy every time I looked at the menu. The current menu had some lighter choices for me, so back we went.

Verdict: Very good, but not as nirvana-y as I remembered.

Decor: yes, it's loud and urban, but I am kind of suprised that I was so impressed by this 18 mos. ago. San Diego has really come a long way. Searsucker is way more exciting, but I think there are also other places with buzz and a coolor atmosphere.

Cocktail: WOWZA! One of the best I have ever had. Better than Eden's Apple: could it be any yummier? Very intense and delicious: Gala Apple Vodka, Roasted Orange-Infused Syrup, Orange Bitters, St-Germain Elderflower Liqueur, Fresh Citrus Juices, Fresh Apple Slice. Need I say more?

Appetizer: Liked my albacore chop-chop. Wasn't nearly as good as any ceviche that Ricardo Heredia makes at Alchemy. CH liked his wedge salad. The biscuits were as good as we remembered.

Entree: This was the other highlight of my meal. L-O-V-E-D my salmon. Great fish, perfectly cooked, yummy farro with veggies underneath. CH thought his mac n'cheese was ok, not spectacular.

Dessert: "not so red" velvet cake. Pretty disappointing. Liked the cream cheese frosting but not really the cake. No taste compared to the cake I had at Kitchen 1540.

CH's verdict when I pressed him: Nowhere near as good as Alchemy. I certainly wouldn't argue with that. We probably won't rush back again, but I did really enjoy my cocktail and entree, and I still think Matt Gordon is an all-around awesome guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment