A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Bayu's Ethiopian review (Hillcrest): Naomi Wise is the greatest!

I'm so hip these days that many of the places Naomi Wise reviews in the San Diego Reader are either already on my radar....or I've already been. But last week she reviewed a place I'd never even heard of: Bayu's Ethiopian in Hillcrest. Lots of vegetarian options, buffet at lunch.....

That's all Foodie Mom needs to hear!

My own Mama is visiting, and she's always game for a veg adventure, so we hit Bayu's today. FABULOUS! I didn't really think I liked Ethiopian. Though I have long been an Indian food fanatic, injara always tasted too sour to me; when I tried Ethiopian food in college, I remember thinking it tasted kind of weird. But years have passed, Naomi's review sounded great, and off we went.

YUM!!!! Injara wasn't sour at all. Three kinds of different lentil stews (not super spicy), one with split peas, one with tomatos/carrots/potatoes. (They had one meat stew too but we can't vouch for it.) Overall, super-healthy, super-flavorful, super-nice decor.

Oh - and the restaurant is in the former Cafe Bleu space in Hillcrest (where that wine bar used to be). ABSOLUTELY WORTH A VISIT...and another and another, when I can find an excuse to be in the neighborhood (and a dining partner, since this ain't CH's kind of food).

No comments:

Post a Comment