A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Friday, August 2, 2013

More yumminess at Davanti Enoteca Del Mar

There is a definite science to ordering at Davanti Del Mar, which is fast becoming one of my go-to favorite restaurants (especially for a get-together with a girlfriend). Some items are reasonably priced, delicious, and copious (any of the pizzas, about $12). Others are tiny and astronomical (that one ravioli for $10).  So when I go with a friend, I always try to do one of the following shared plans:

--appetizer ($8-10)
--salad (8-10ish)
--Pizza DOC or Pizza con Funghi e Taleggio ($12 or $13)

OR

--appetizer ($8-10)
--Salad ($8-10ish)
--pasta ($15ish)
--fish ($19ish)

You get to try a lot of different tastes and it leaves you from spending lots of money and still being hungry.  My friend was avoiding dairy so we did the second plan.  Very successful and delectable evening as usual at DDM

App: we had the roasted cauliflower, this time with lemon, olives and lots of other yummy things. Everytime I go the roasted cauli preparation is different, but it's always delicious and a very healthy and filling and reasonable - not to mention very tasty - way to start the meal

Salad: we got the peaches with pickled apricots, bibb lettuce, nuts (hazel?) and honey citrus vinaigrette. This salad was SICK, aka CRAZY.  The pickled apricots were crazy good, and the whole salad was yummy. This is an epic salad dish.

Pasta: got the cavatelli with fresh vegetables and ricotta salata.  If you were just ordering this, you would think it was tiny and a ripoff. But after our cauliflower and salad courses, this was just the right amount of pasta for each of us to have. Light and tasty. My second time ordering this and I would get again.

Fish:  Very nice seabass special.  On top of zucchini spaghetti. I was finally full at this point and finally didn't clean my plate.

And WINE is always a highlight here, and I appreciate that they let me try a few sips before deciding.  Wasn't sure whether I wanted a medium-bodied white or red.  Tried the barbera (boring, not for me, at least this night), and also the $12 special white of Manincor Riserva Della Contessa. Blend of pinot blanc, chard and sauvignon, if I remember. Crazy delicious. LOVED IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment