A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Monday, August 29, 2011

Lots of Quick Takes: San Diego

--Delicious meal today at OFF THE HOOK SEAFOOD GRILL in Encinitas. It is conveniently located near one of the best oil change places around (the place next to the AM/PM at Leucadia Blvd. just east of Garden View). Had been planning to eat while I got the oil change at KC Tandoor (which I don't give enough love to on this blog, but is very respectable Indian food for Encinitas, and fast). It was closed, so I wandered over to Off the Hook. OUTSTANDING! A great food concept, and very kid-friendly. Any grilled fish you choose, either in salad, sandwich, bowl or plate form, with the flavor/sauce of your choice. I chose garlic olive oil. For about $11, I got a massive slab of grilled cod, over a bed of brown rice and very delicious sauteed vegetables. Very healthy, delicious and fast (order at the counter, then they bring your food).

--Recent repeat visit to EL CALLEJON, which is a perennial favorite of super-toddler and us. I got the pescado zarandeado. Didn't enjoy as much as the other fish dishes I've ordered but it was good. It's in the regular rotation.

--Took a coworker to CHARISMA. Still among my fave restaurants. It's too much of a secret in Hillcrest, though - lots of neighborhood folks still haven't heard of it. I hope it stays in business!

--Went to Champagne bakery in CV with Super-Toddler when all the other restaurants in the DM heights shopping center were too crowded. It was not as bad as I thought (I've always thought it was fake French and not as exciting as it should be considering how beautiful the pastries look). They had a very decent kids' menu, I got to have a glass of wine and some decent food, and ST had plenty to look at (however, the brand-new escalator in the mall was too confusing for him). We can't wait til Mia Francesca and Davanti Enoteca open - we're hoping they'll be good options in that area.

--And yes regular readers, CH and I will be heading soon to Burlap! We were waiting for the kinks to be worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment