A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Burlap Restaurant Construction Update (Carmel Valley/Del Mar Highlands)

So I'm really not that hopeful about Burlap (Brian Malarkey's/James Brennan's soon-to-be eatery in the Ralph's Shopping Center in CV). Even though Searsucker is my absolute #1 favorite restaurant in SD right now, and Brian Malarkey can make awesome food, the idea of going out on date night to....the Del Mar Highlands Shopping Center really is not something to dream about. If I've got a babysitter, I'm anticipating that I'd just as soon head in the car to the Gaslamp and have a riproaring good-time than stay at Imitation-Searsucker-in-Suburbia! (And as appreciative an eater as Super-Toddler is, he doesn't need to (won't!) sit for a fancy meal unless it's on the beach at Poseidon - if we're going to be at that shopping center, he'll be better off at Red Robin or the Counter!).

However, I am now super-excited and intrigued about the decor. Had to go to Kinko's (er, FedEx) today....saw the latest stage of construction. They seem to have put in the front doors and the area above the doors today. They are absolutely the most gorgeous palate of woods. I don't normally get that excited about wood, but it was really spectacular - I thought, "if I had time, I'd love to hang out here and just stare at the work of art called that door." REALLY....

I'm hoping they don't paint over it - but I can't imagine they would use such a beautiful array of woods if they were planning to put something over it.

Now, I'm getting excited. Let's see what it looks like next! It may just be cool enough to keep us in Carmel Valley on date night!

(Oh - and this looks kind of fun - - I'll have to think about going.

No comments:

Post a Comment