A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Market Restaurant revisit (Del Mar)

Carl Schroeder used to be my favorite chef in San Diego. LOVED him at Arterra, LOVED him at Market.

Only one problem: CH can't stand his food. I don't know what it is, but there is something Schroeder uses in his cooking that just does not sit well with my sweetie. He always thinks it's ok at first, and then gets this horrible aftertaste. (Happened tonight again.) So despite having considered it my favorite restaurant, I haven't been there in at least 2 years, and even then CH hadn't been my dining partner there since it opened.

Well, that's ok, because I went tonight (CH agreed to go for my birthday) - and though it's good, it's not in the same category as my current top 3:
--Searsucker
--Alchemy
--Farmhouse Cafe

Wine by the glass: A delectable alborino, $9.50 is a decent price

Amuse bouche: They brought us something without shellfish: a strawberry with champagne sorbet. Seemed too sweet for an amuse, but the champagne sorbet was to-die for. Thought about it as a palate cleanser and loved it.

Appetizer: CH was excited to try the Thai chicken soup, but then they said it had some fish broth (he's allergic). He wasn't excited by any of the other options, but settled for the off-menu Market fresh Chino vegetable salad. It was fine - I enjoyed his cauliflower and beets.

I got the hamachi-ahi minus the uni shooter. Delectable. Was scooping up the spicy remnants of the red peppers that had been on top of the hamachi.

Entree: CH not that into his jidori chicken - and then that aftertaste he seems to get from Schroder's flavor profiles hit him (it's very individual obviously - I love his food but CH gets it every time).

--my Vegetarian tasting: This used to be Carl Schroeder's forte: always some incredibly delectable and creative vegetarian dish that was cravable and better than anything in SD. Tonight: it was ok. I liked the little tortellini and the mushrooms. The goat cheese tart was meh and I didn't eat very much. Ricardo Heredia is killing the vegetarian category right now in San Diego: not really special here.

Bonus birthday dessert: Raspberry sorbet with olive oil cake. Neither component interesting at all.

We ordered one regular dessert to share: Smore. This was actually the standout of the whole meal. I wish we had gotten two. Salty, sweet, every texture. Loved it.

Verdict: Still like Market, would happily go with someone else, but it ain't in my top 3, and I'm not missing it if I don't go for a while. Carl Schroeder still gets the great press in SD, but at this point other people are doing even better, IMHO. (and see my review on his Bankers Hill Bar and Grill from the summer, which was not a very exciting meal at all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment