A San Diego Restaurant Review Blog

in which the author chronicles her efforts to indulge her foodie inclinations amidst her working-mom-of-a-toddler lifestyle



(with some reviews for with toddlers, others for date night, and others for a delicious solo lunch on the run, plus occasional quick-notes on SD theater!)

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Quick takes: Bo's Seafood (Hillcrest) and Habibi's Mediterranean (Escondido)

Found myself in Hillcrest the other day at lunch. Bo's is in a strip mall with lots of parking. DELISH grilled fish tacos (some kind of tangy marinade and sauce). Not cheap, but reasonably quick and yummy. Would be toddler friendly.

Habibi's: OH BOY! Real Middle Eastern food in Escondido - real find. Not far from the Children's Museum at all. ST was overtired so it was a little stressful, but we had:

--amazing vegetarian lentil soup (had fresh ground spices: did I taste a hint of cardamon?)

--Greek salad: just eh, but ST loves feta

--hummus: super-yum, very thick and fresh. CH prefers thinner hummus but I thought it was very authentic and delightful.

--Felafel: I think I can safely call it the BEST I'VE HAD IN SD. Even better than Sultan Schwarma's. Very fresh, with delicious pickles.

--Chicken kebabs: CH thought they were good, though he wasn't as wild about the place as me. However, I tasted his rice pilaf. WOWZA! Yummy sliced almonds, raisins and vermicelli on top. Loved it!

I think they're Iraqi - they have kibbeh and bourekas and lots of other dishes whose names were unfamiliar to me on the menu.

Service not super-duper, but food was great and at a great price. Very toddler (and baby-) friendly.

Am so going back, if only I can find a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment